Monday, December 15, 2008

early sunday morning

Lately, I haven't shared my thoughts in this blog. But I've been wanting to write most of them. So many things happening at the same time. Because the memories seem to fade with time and we always tend to forget the little details that is why I've been meaning to have them written down. Only a journal can help me remember the simple, ordinary and mundane things that gives me so much joy. When I come back to read them, each detail is like a morsel which I can enjoy like small nuggets of my favorite chocolate mints.

Last Sunday morning, I got up really early to make it to my 7am Pilates and dance class date with Rolyn my dentist friend. Thanks to her, I discovered the Pilates and the Belly Dancing Class.

I snuck out of the house while Tatay and Baby are still asleep. Well, Tatay Amats was still half- asleep when I mentioned that I will be out for the most part of the morning. So there I was out of the house a few minutes before 7am on a Sunday morning. I thought it would be hard to get up since we love to sleep in specially during the weekends. But I was really happy to be up and about wearing my quick dry shirt I only put on during climbs and comfortable old pair of jogging pants on my way to my dance class. I can't remember when was the last time I had dance class. It was a happy thought that I am indeed going to one this morning.

There was a light morning breeze and the air was cool. The sun was just up in the horizon with a nice warm glow over the trees. I remembered the time when I was always out on hiking trips every weekend. I actually miss my weekend warrioring days. My wanderlust still is in my bones.

I arrived early but there was the earlier dance class so I took some time to do some brisk walking around the park for warm up. I was amazed at the number of people awake and enjoying the early Sunday morning. I thought, we are missing this wonderful hour to spend time outdoors. People from all ages were there: joggers, martial arts and arnis students, families with the grand parents, old and young running, walking their dog, teens playing ball and even small babies sleeping under trees. I smiled at the sight of all these people doing their own thing as I walk around enjoying the cool morning air. I felt alive and awakened in a familiar kind of way.

Then later I found Rolyn, Hannah and Rodney's mom already at hall. While waiting for the Belly dancing class, I joined the Pilates class for a short while but did not go through the whole routine. It was hard it reminded me of my lost Pilates workout dvd.

I was really happy to be dancing with women double my age but there were also a few much younger than me. It was a mixed group of women who seem to really love dancing. Everyone has their dance gear for belly dancing: that wrap around skirt with the coin-like tassels which is the signature piece of belly dancers. It was really fun to be with this group even though I don't have my dance gear yet they welcome me into the group.

The dance routine was as fun and happy as I expected it to be. But what surprised me is that it was indeed a great workout. I found myself with stitches on the side during the session. It was about an hour of classic belly dancing.

Next hour, we had some Polynesian dance routines (where the dance steps were very familiar because I had classes when I was in kindergarten) and the last hour was devoted to what they called Brazilian dance. But I felt it looked very much like Capoeira moves. I was really exhausted at the end. I was very much impressed with the older women twice my age who just danced away without a blink literally. This goes to show how I really need the exercise.

Dance class ended with people still smiling and sweating. I came up to ask the instructor about the dance gear. Really enjoyed myself and even entertained the idea of the recital next year :)

I got myself the full gear for belly dancing! Now I am hooked!

No comments: