Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Uphold Civil Liberties

We were reading the online Inquirer and I was appalled at what I read today:

THE Sisters of the Good Shepherd yesterday filed a complaint at the Commission on Human Rights against the PNP officers who barged into the Contemplative Sisters’ convent in Butuan City on All Saints’ Day.

complete story here.

I have an aunt who is a member of this congregation under the RGS. The sisters in Butuan are the SGS. The SGS is the contemplative branch of the RGS and is devoted mainly to prayer and contemplation. The RGS is the active counterpart involved in various ministries. Founded in France, it is one of the largest religious congregations in the world and has been in the Philippines since 1912.

Growing up my aunt was a mentor to my humanitarian views. The way she is living her life as a servant for others within the different ministries of the RGS. The news today made my blood boil literally and made my muscles involuntarily shake containing the anger I am feeling.

The blatant disregard of civil liberties in Butuan's SGS convent made me realize that there is a small group of individuals who are behind this and can only point to the commander-in-chief. Command responsibility doesn't end to the immediate superiors of the soldiers.

I lived in Tawi-tawi for almost a year in, I lived among Muslim community and it has broadened my perspective how peace loving these people are. I also have friends in the military service. Many of my preconceived notions I was able to re-think during those months living on the field working for conservation.

How we all are in search of peace.

Naiiyak ako sa nangyayari sa ating bayan ngayon.

No comments: