Monday, February 28, 2005

Samaritan woman

When I was about 8 or 9 years of age, I was able to join the "Santacruzan". This Santacruzan is an annual event usually at the end of May where processions takes place in each barrio or town. Children of all ages wears a costume that would represent a bible character at the end of the procession is Reyna Elena with constantino. In recent years, the costumes evolved into contemporary gowns for the youth which eventually lost the whole essense of the event. But yesterday, I am happy to recall that at the time I was part of that procession in Alaminos, I played the part of the Samaritan woman.

I have a photo somewhere of that particular day in May. I remember I was wearing a simple blue long organza dress with a viel held by a hair pin on the side of my head to keep it in place. Still vivid in my memory is the clay jar that my Tita Ching asked me to carry along while we walked the street that late afternoon.

Yesterday, the Gospel was about that Samaritan woman at Jacob's well meeting Jesus. While Amats and I with Melo and Jas was talking about the Sunday's reading. I specifically recalled that scene when I was 8 years old.

Now, I did not realize that this particular story in the Bible will be a well spring of insights enough to meditate upon the whole of the lenten season. As the woman thirst for the eternal water, we are also reminded that Jesus also thirst, that He also longs to be loved by us. While the water we have in our jars eventually dries up, the water that Jesus offers is eternal.

No comments: