Sunday, February 27, 2005

Melo's Son of Man

Yesterday morning before going to He Cares, together with our few good friends we went to the Loyola School of Theology to give our support and watch the defense of Melo on his MA theology thesis: Son of Man theory as it refers to Jesus and his community. I will not attempt to write and use the terms he used in his thesis which is 2 inches thick, a chapter short of a full doctoral dissertation. Scholarly and exhaustive in his research, it was a culmination of two years pondering on the concept of the "Son of Man".

As a witness to this defense, I am amazed by the way the discussion of the topic unfolds, as if transporting my thoughts to the time of the Old Testament and then to the present time and then back again to the time of Jesus. Before I came to this discussion, my own limited understanding is that the "Son of Man" would just always refer to Jesus alone. The amazing new understanding I learned is that it could not just refer to the individual but also the community of Jesus. Further explored, it could be interpreted on a personal level.

Another take home thought I am happy to chew on, is that the people in the community is not the elite group of the saved but part of the saving community.

If you want to know more, maybe you can invite Melo over for coffee sometime.

No comments: