Monday, February 14, 2005

Ditsi and Nana

I visited my sister yesterday and our family's newest member Jane. While we were happily spending time with family, from my Tito Philip's Sunday paper, we came accross familiar faces. Wow! these are our friends, Amats and I, told my family about Ditsi and Nana. They are very fine documentary film makers and there was a long article on Starweek Feb. 13 issue entitled "Sweet Subversions" and it talked about "Bunso" (the youngest). They also made the controversial "Minsan lang sila bata" and "Riles"(Life on the Tracks).

I eagerly read through the journalist review on the film--Bunso. And indeed I echo what he said "Nothing prepared us for Ditsi Carolino's latest documentary."

Last year on Human Rights Day December 10th the Philippine premier of "Bunso" was shown at the film center. Since there was the palpable NGO ambience and UP people I felt at home. But it was by chance a woman I don't even know, gave me free tickets to the premier last year.

Raw is what I would describe the film. Even though I am involved with He Cares street children caring center, to see these juveniles in jail for a minor first offense gave me a glimpse at the glaring reality of how it is to live in conditions way below liveable conditions. Nothing indeed would prepare one's conciousness to the truth that the film speaks of. Love and humor though scarce can also be found within the stories as the children themselves give us the full account of what they have been through, and still maybe going through.

If you are interested to see the film, there will be a screening on February 26 at the SM megamall at 6:30 PM during the Pelikula at Lipunan festival and on March 14 at Shangrila Mall.

By the way, I introduced Ditsi to Kuya Joe Dean of He Cares Foundation at A.G. Sano's "Sigaw ng Liwanag"(Lightning) photoexhibit last month.

No comments: