Friday, February 18, 2011

Mt. Pinatubo Crater Lake

For the longest time I've wanted to visit this mountain. In a span of 10 years, friends have climbed the long route, pre-4 x 4 cars, some the short cut route and I always had to do something else. Had to finish a job, or just be somewhere else. I guess things indeed happen for a reason. I am glad that I waited because I was able to experience this one with my daughter. It is her first mountain climbing adventure and I am glad I am with her to share this experience. This climb also marked a special time in my life.

The crater lake was a magnificent site to behold. Digital dslrs can only capture a 2D. The vast expanse engulfs your being as you approach the crater lake. Nature's strength and beauty surrounding you 360 degrees, puts things in perspective of how small we are yet still a part of the greater scheme of things.

While hiking through the trail to arrive here, the trails were marked with lahar and ash stocked up to create a new landscape-- a moonscape I would imagine. There were intermittent pounding in my heart and day-after-tomorrow thoughts as we walk through the gorge of gray ash and it started to drizzle. A visual essay is posted at my other blog Pinay Mountain Chef.

The gateway to Mt. Pinatubo is Sta. Juliana, Capas, Tarlac, while talking to Mang Orlan our guide he mentioned that they are preparing for a barrio fiesta on the 16th. Hmmm I thought and smiled to myself. Do you believe in coincidence?


No comments: