Friday, June 20, 2008

airports



During my last trip to Thailand. The first thing that struck me was the Suvarnabhumi Airport (pronounced as "Su-Wana-poom") Suvarnabhumi means "The Golden Land". The last time I was in Thailand was in 1995 and the airport they have back then was very similar to the NAIA. I was happily surprised that now they have something similar to Singapore less the orchids in the center. A big and better airport.

That brings me to our own airport. More than twenty years ago I distinctly remembered the time when we brought our Tita to the airport back then it was the MIA or Manila International Airport. She was going to migrate to the States. As you know the tradition is that the whole barangay of relatives are in tow to send off the relative who is migrating. I also remembered we had picture taking with everyone in front of the jeep that brought the whole clan. My cousins and I were climbing up and down the escalators. I still have that picture.

Then circa 2008 last month when I went to Thailand. Now called the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, but nothing is different from more than 20 years ago. I felt sad for the condition of our airport every time. Recently I heard that the newly built terminal 3 has already these supposed cracks from an earthquake. Not even open yet and already broken. tsk tsk.

Oh well.

No comments: