Thursday, March 01, 2007

women on fire!

Marathon meeting today. Drawing things that would affect our lives and the lives of people this year and probably the next decade onwards. Anyway here is hoping that things would fall into place. Just have to do our share. After our dinner cum post birthday celeb at Muang Thai, I was happy to be able to relax for the night.

***
As I was watching Oprah, I was inspired by these women: Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf the first woman president of Africa, the Iron Lady of Liberia. Then there is this little girl named Musu from Liberia. Like always, all the stories that came from Africa strikes a punch into my heart. From Rwanda to Liberia to Sudan.

Oprah continues to inspire me with her passion to help others through the Angel Network. From helping tsunami hit areas, to her pledge to give 10 million for those affected by typhoon Katrina and the way she inspires rockstars like Bon Jovi to follow suit. These and many more.

Another guest this evening was Queen Rania of Jordan. She spoke about her country and people. How the people of the west see the veil worn by women as a sign of opression. This is not the case. Women wear the veil because it is their choice. She said "we should judge a woman with what is in her head not with what she wears on her head". She is teaching her son to be a global citizen to be aware of what is happening to our world.

Then lastly, my former most favorite female artist made a comeback tonight and she is back on the top of my charts. I used to sing over and over "in the arms of an angel..." during the long boat trips to the islands of Tawi tawi. She kept me company during long sunset walks around the island. Lift my spirit at down times and transport me to somewhere comforting. Until many moons passed and I forgot about her. Until tonight, I heard her voice again. Now I am inspired.Sarah McLachlan sang World on Fire.

A music video cost 150,000 US dollars, she made this video for US$15 and the remaining money she sent to Ethiopia, Cambodia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and many more. I was transfixed as I watch the video. I've worked for a while with Oxfam and I saw the stats and the images but this video made more than just a statement. Watch World on Fire here.

World On Fire
Sarah McLachlan

The worlds on fire, its more than I can handle
I'll tap into the water try and bring my share
Try to bring more, more than I can handle
Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able

Hearts are worn in these dark ages
Youre not alone in these stories pages
The light has fallen amongst the living and the dying
And Ill try to hold it in
Yeah Ill try to hold it in

I watch the heavens but I find no calling
Something I can do to change whats coming
Stay close to me while the skys falling
I dont wanna be left alone dont wanna be alone

Hearts break , hearts mend, love still hurts
Visions clash planes crash still theres talk of
saving souls still the colds closing in on us

We part the veil on our killer sun
Stray from the straight line on this short run
The more we take, the less we become
The fortune of one man means less for some

No comments: