Thursday, February 24, 2005

little outstreched arms

Last Saturday was one of the best celebrations I had and I am humbled by the "gifts" I have received. We arrived at He Cares just before the mass of Fr. Steve. Kuya Joe Dean was preparing the children for mass. The garahe was full of buzzing little street kids most of them I do not know but am growing in familiarity with each passing Saturday. I saw it coming when Kuya Joe Dean motioned for me to come up front "Oh no I thought, in the back of my mind I really do not want to announce my growing of age" but as it happened Kuya already announced it to all that I am celebrating my birthday there. As I stood there Kuya asked everyone to stretch out their arms and together they prayed for me. I closed my eyes, thoughts of unworthiness attacked me and I am humbled once again. My heart went out to all those kids who prayed with Kuya asking God to bless my life. The image of those house full of kids with their little outstreched arms in prayer is the best gift I have ever received. Never have I been a recipient of such. I thank God for these children.

Gracia gave me a hug, a kiss then Reina and the others. I sat with Rica and Jasmine, they asked, "Ate how old are you" I answered 34. And their eyes I saw a bit of unbelief and then I asked, how old are you Rica said 8 and Jasmine also 8. I just smile as they continued to look at me, maybe trying to comprehend my age.

As if this show of affection is not enough, after the feeding and the volunteers are eating, I was pleasantly surprised by the brothers and sisters of Lingkod QC as a way of life, we had short sharing and led by a brother from the servant of the word they also prayed over me. I cannot even begin to decribe the generosity I experienced that day.

No comments: